Remember me? Yup, I’m finally back. I wish I could say that I’m sorry for not doing it earlier but honestly – I’m really not! 8 weeks ago I gave birth to the most precious little boy (picture proof above) and since this almost for sure our last baby I decided to enjoy every single second of it. He’s such a good baby and I enjoy his company so, so much. And oh this divine baby smell… I wish I could bottle it somehow.
And you should see Tila – she is the sweetest little (big) sister and she’s all about the cuddles and kisses with him and she doesn’t have a drop of jealousy in her. She also helps me beyond my expectations. My sweet, sweet girl. You can see a few photos and even a video of the two together on Instagram.
Talan is going to turn 2 months tomorrow so his world still mostly evolves around eating, sleeping, a lot of pooping, peeing and consequently diaper changing, now he’s also smiling and trying to make baby sounds. Oh and there’s also a tiny bit of crying, yes.
There are a few items that I couldn’t survive without – well ok, I could but they make my life a lot easier and I thought some fresh mamas and mamas-to-be might appreciate me sharing.
1. I chose this Voksi footmuff because it’s made of natural materials like wool, cotton and feather. It’s also perfect for use in a car seat (there are special openings for the harnesses at the bottom) as well as in the pram. And they keep the little bundle super warm and cozy!
I got it from BabyShop but it’s sold out, you can get it directly from Voksi and if shipping for your country is not listed, just contact them!
2. This Cushion Chain from BALlab is super useful. It has three press-on buttons at the ends so by buttoning it up together you get a donut-shaped cushion and use it for things like a resting place for your baby, a sitting cushion after the birth and if you take it apart you get a really long cushion that can be used to help you sleep while pregnant, as a nursing pillow, support during tummy time or back support when the baby starts to sit up on its own etc.
3. Yes, breastfeeding is a beautiful thing but not at the beginning. For me it was one of the most painful things in life. More than giving birth itself. It hurts, hurts like hell! I won’t even start describing the state of my poor nipples for the sake of all still-to-be moms. But these nipple shields from Medela saved my sanity – they helped so, so, soooo much! They helped nursing get bearable again until I healed. They fit on perfectly, my baby didn’t have any difficulties transitioning from the breast and then back again and they come in three different sizes for the perfect comfort. You can get them in most pharmacies or even on Amazon
4. I absolutely adore these towels from Imps & Elfs. They are super soft, absorbent and made from organic materials like terry cotton on one side and a layer of cotton muslin on the other one! Plus the colors are absolutely gorgeous!
I got them from Anni Bazaar
5. I wrote a post on how harmful disposable diapers can be a while ago (you can read it here) but the Naty nappies are as natural as disposable’s get! They are made from natural and renewable materials, even the film is made from GM free corn and of course there’s no trace of chlorine or perfumes plus they do their job perfectly. Oh and they also look super cute. You can find your favourite retailer here
6. I talked about the swaddling benefits a lot already but I can’t help myself – I just love it! And Talan sleeps so good thanks to it. It completely relaxes him. My favorite swaddling blankets are from Aden + Anais and from La Langerie. I washed these babies so many times already and they still look like new and they just get softer every time!
7. Talan got a nappy rash and I tried changing the diapers and the wipes but nothing changed. I also bought a certain organic diaper cream at the store but that one didn’t do anything either. Then I went online and noticed this Diaper Ointment from Burt’s Bees had the best reviews so I decided to try out. People call it wonder cream and they are so right – it made the rash go away in two days and it hasn’t come back since and it’s been more than a month!
It’s available from Amazon
8. One thing that relaxes babies probably even more than the swaddling is babywearing. It doesn’t only feel great to have your little one so close to you for a really long time without having to worry about your hands falling off but it also enables you to actually do some stuff around the house – it calms them down completely! I spotted the Combi Cotti carriers on Babyccino Kids blog and couldn’t resist! I’m so glad. They look great, feel amazing and are super easy to use once you get the hang of it.
9. These Jackson Reece wipes rock! They are completely natural, super gentle and don’t contain any perfumes or alcohol. They are also just the right size and wet enough to do the job with one wipe only! There is also a really good deal on them on Amazon if you take a pack of 10. I’m tempted to try out their Nose Nuzzles
10. I wanted to avoid the disposable hospital underwear and decided to buy my own granny pants to hold those giant sanitary pads in place. At the end I wore the lovely fishnet underwear anyway but only the first day. Then I used these shaping briefs from H&M and they felt unbelievably good. It didn’t only feel great to see the belly get a lot flatter in an instant but they actually made me feel more comfortable. They are tight and stretchy just enough not to squeeze too much and to make you feel kind of a like they-are-holding-things-in-place comfortable. Love them so much tha I’m still using them.
11. I love this NUNA Leaf rocking chair for a few reasons: materials are organic, the insert is super easy to remove and wash, it swings sideways instead of common back and forth, there’s no motor so you don’t need any batteries in order to use it and the best part is that it hold up to 60 kg so even bigger kids can use it as a (swing) chair. Tila loves to read books on!
There’s one more things that I somehow managed to forget to put into the edit but should definitely be mentioned. The Gifrer Liniment I wrote about before. Besides the impeccable job it does around the nappy area it also helped me with my nipple situation a lot. A lot! Much more then the nipple creams themselves!